How to Renew an Expired Learner's Permit in Pennsylvania

When would-be non-commercial and motorcycle drivers need more time because their Pennsylvania learner's permit expired, they can apply for a 12-month extension. Those seeking a CDL, or commercial driver's license, must start the permit process over again. The fees vary according to permit type and privileges requested. Candidates may also have to undergo additional physical or vision exams depending on how much time has passed since the original learner's permit was issued.

How to Renew an Expired Learner's Permit in Pennsylvania
Image Credit: lzf/iStock/GettyImages

Getting a Duplicate

Pennsylvania's Department of Transportation, or PennDOT, issues one-year learner's permits for automobile licenses and gives candidates three chances to pass its skills, or road, test. If you need more time or your permit expires, you must complete Form DL-31 Non-Commercial Learner's Permit Application to Add/Extend/Replace/Change/Correct. A $5 extension fee applies for all learner's permit extensions. The form is available from Pennsylvania DMV It must be printed, signed and either presented at one of the Commonwealth's driver's license centers, or mailed with a check or money order payable to PennDOT. Mailed applications take seven to 10 business days to process.

Replacing a Motorcycle Learner's Permit

In Pennsylvania, motorcycle, or Class M, learner's permits cannot be renewed or extended; you must reapply. You can't do that before the original one expires. The law limits the number of Class M permit renewals to three in five years. In addition to paying a $10 fee and completing Form DL-5 Motorcycle Learner's Permit Application, you have to retake the motorcycle knowledge test and pass a vision exam each time you reapply. Motorcycle learner's permit renewals cannot by done by mail. You must present your completed Form DL-5 and a check or money order payable to PennDOT at a driver's license center.

Renewing Commercial Learner’s Permits

You can request a one-year extension if your Pennsylvania CDL learner's permit expires. However, the extension process takes you back to square one: You must pay the fees again and complete another Commercial Learner's Permit Application Form DC-31CD and Self-Certification Form DL-11CD. The forms are available from Pennsylvania DMV, at its driver's license centers, auto clubs and messenger centers. The permit fee depends on the vehicle class and class restrictions, and requested endorsements such as hazard materials transport. If your application has no category changes from your original CDL permit, you don't have to pay another photo fee. Never-licensed candidates also need a new physical exam. Take these items to one of the state's driver's license centers for your extension: Forms DC-31CD and DL-11CD; fee payment – check or money order payable to PennDOT; Social Security card; and proof of residency.

After passing vision and road-sign knowledge tests, you will get a Knowledge Test Authorization, or KTA. If you pass that, you get your CDL learner's permit to begin your behind-the-wheel training. You have 12 months to pass the KTA and road test.

Replacing a Lost Permit

The process to replace lost learner's permits is the same as duplicates and replacements. PennDOT will replace a never received, mailed non-commercial learner's permit at no charge with a notarized form DL-31. If you lose your commercial driver's license KTA, or the actual CDL learner's permit, you must complete the Commercial Learner's Permit Application to Add/Extend/Remove Form DL-32CD and pay related fees.