Freelancing: A Day in the Life

Nearly two years ago, I turned in my notice at my job in mental health, to become a full-time freelance writer and never looked back. Honestly, flexibility is one of the main reasons I decided to work-from-home. What I do gives me a lot of freedom when it comes to how I spend my days. Since I have three kids, this is a much better choice when compared to footing a bill for a couple thousand dollars for daycare.

To be honest, my days at home aren't perfect and they aren't always easy. Freelance life is unpredictable and having three kids under four at home with me most days adds a whole extra level of chaos. Thinking about freelancing? Here's a taste of what your days might look like.

5 a.m.— My alarm goes off. Is anything due before nine o'clock? If the answer is no, I turn off my alarm and whisper promises to myself about starting my morning workout tomorrow. Promise.

7 a.m.—I wake to a toddler standing over me making demands for cheerios. I comply. I wander around my kitchen for a few minutes and finally muster up the focus to start a pot of coffee and crack open my computer.

7:15 a.m.— I sift through approximately one million emails from public relations reps in hopes of finding a reply from an editor. Nope. I slam my computer shut, finish up my coffee and make breakfast.

8 a.m.—I spend my morning at my kitchen table, working on meeting a few deadlines. My big kids are awesome, playing together in the living room for two hours while my baby naps. I only have to break up a few sibling brawls.

10:30 a.m.—Break time. I decide now is a good time to change out my pajamas into leggings and a sweatshirt. Don't judge, I have no one to impress and leggings are totally pants.

Noon— Naptime! My most productive part of the day. I plan to finish up my work for the day while my kids sleep. In reality, I spend it asking my oldest to head back to her room and rocking my youngest back to sleep. When its all said and done, I'm exhausted.

2:30 p.m. — I've got a story to finish and handful of emails to follow up on and my kids have zero chill. I congratulate myself on saving screen time for the afternoon and turn on Sheriff Callie, put the baby down for his last nap of the day and scramble to finish up.

3:30 p.m. — Time to clock out. I try to stay away from my phone so my kids can have all of my attention. In reality, I am waiting to hear back from my editors and I find myself obsessively checking my email.

7:30 p.m. — I have work to get done but would rather watch the new episode of This is Us. I find a happy medium, I drag my laptop over to the couch and work in front of the t.v. for a few hours before heading to bed.

Is it a perfect system? No. Did I accomplish a few tasks? Yes. Was I wearing pajamas half the day? Also yes.