How Do I Get 1099 Forms for Past Years?

How Do I Get 1099 Forms for Past Years?
Image Credit: Scott Rothstein/iStock/GettyImages

You must have 1099 forms issued to you to prepare tax returns and prove income you receive to lenders, financial reviewers and some employers. If you lost 1099 documents you received in prior years, you can order transcripts of the 1099 information from the IRS. 1099 transcripts are free and list all the information contained on your original 1099 documents.


Step 1

Obtain IRS Form 4506-T. (See Resources.)

Video of the Day

Step 2

Provide your personal identification information in boxes 1 through 4.

Step 3

Go to number 8, Form W-2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series or Form 5498 Series Transcript. Check the box to order 1099 transcripts. You may receive 1099 information from the past 10 years.

Step 4

Write the past tax years for which you want 1099 information on line 9. Write each year in a separate box. If you want more than four years of past 1099 information, you must complete another 4506-T.


Step 5

Take the 4506-T to your local IRS office (see Resources) for fast processing. You can also mail your form to the processing address for your state provided in the form instructions. Mail-in requests take up to 45 days to process.