Programs That Assist Low-Income Single Mothers With Cash, Rent & Transportation

Single mothers face the burden of caring for a child on their own emotionally and financially. To alleviate the stress of paying for basic needs, the government and private agencies develop assistance programs. Help is available for a mother struggling with transportation, food, housing and other necessities.



The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development can help you with rent. Section 8 Vouchers offer you the flexibility to choose a home for your child, not limited to public housing. Subsidized housing bases your monthly rent on your income. The Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program helps you by paying past-due rent, utilities or even relocation costs. The U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development rental assistance program grants funds to ensure that low-income tenants only contribute 30 percent of their income towards rent.


Video of the Day


The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families helps parents with children living in the household. As a requirement, you must comply with child support enforcement. Since mothers are required to participate in the work program and complete a minimum of 30 hours per week. You can receive assistance for up to 60 months in most states. The state determines income requirements and the benefit amount. If ineligible for government assistance through the program, local charities also award cash for basic needs. Contact local charities or churches in your area to inquire about emergency help.



If TANF approves you, the required work program assists with obtaining childcare and transportation. The type of assistance ranges in each location. Help paying for car repairs, gas or bus fare may be available. You can also contact a local church to inquire about donated cars. Contact local organizations aimed specifically at helping women. For instance, in Melbourne, Florida, the Women's Center supplies transitional housing, counseling, food and small loans to help women get on their feet.


Food and Other Needs

National charities, such as the Salvation Army, United Way, American Red Cross and Angel Food Ministries have office locations throughout the country. These charities help single mothers with food and can offer referrals to other local agencies that may currently have funding. Each state also administers the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, previously known as Food Stamps, to help applicants who meet the income guidelines based on household size.


references & resources