Can I Get Financial Help if I Am Separated From My Husband?

If you decide to separate from your husband, adjusting financially can prove a struggle. If you are in need of financial help, assistance is available. Federal and private organizations provide help to assist women who choose to separate from their husbands and support themselves or families alone. The type of assistance you can receive and the requirements may vary, depending on the organization.


State Assistance

State assistance is available for women separated from their husbands, as long as they live in different homes. You'll need to fall within the income guidelines for cash, food or housing assistance. Cash assistance through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is available from your state if you have children. The TANF food assistance program helps women with or without children who meet the income guidelines set by their state. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) helps women by offering housing vouchers or providing public housing options.


Video of the Day

Private Help

Private organizations provide temporary or emergency financial assistance to single women, which can even be awarded immediately. If you're in danger of being evicted or having your utilities disconnected, you can turn to a national non-profit organization such as the Salvation Army. Certain organizations supply households with help to cover basic needs, including utilities. Requirements for eligibility vary, based on the location. To find organizations in your area, call the United Way's 2-1-1 Information line.


Women's Organizations

Local charities specifically designed to assist women offer a variety of services. The Women's Resource Center of Southeastern Pennsylvania, for example, strives to empower women through a variety of programs and offers job training, career placement, counseling, parenting support and legal assistance. The Women's Resource Center can also refer you to other organizations that may provide funding to help with bills.


Applying for Help

To apply for assistance from your state, contact your local Department of Health and Human Services. Specific eligibility criteria and income requirements may vary. If you have children with your separated spouse, you must comply with child support enforcement to receive state assistance. Prepare to provide proof of income and all resources. You must be a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant with valid identification. If you need help locating private organizations that provide this type of assistance, contact your local Community Action Agency or call the United Way's local information and referral line. Each organization has its own application process. Generally, you'll need to provide proof of income, identity and household expenses.



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...