How to Replace a Social Insurance Number Card

The Social Insurance number is a nine digit number issued to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and temporary workers. The Social Insurance number is similar to a Social Security number in the United States. You'll need your Social Insurance number card to access government programs and benefits and to work in Canada. If you've lost your Social Insurance number card, you can apply for a replacement card either in person or by mail.

In Person

Step 1

Gather your documents. If you are a Canadian citizen, you must have one of the following: a certificate of birth, a certificate of Canadian Citizenship, or a Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad issued before 1977 by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). If you are a permanent resident, you must submit a permanent resident card, confirmation of permanent residence, visa counterfoil affixed to a foreign passport or travel document, or a record of landing issued before June 28, 2002. If you are a temporary resident, you must supply a work permit or study permit, a visitor record issues by CIC, or a diplomatic identity card and a note of permission of employment.

Step 2

Take the documents to your nearest Service Canada center. You can find your nearest Service Canada center online (see Resources).

Step 3

Pay the $10 fee. Acceptable forms of payment include cash, credit card, debit card, or a personal check, bank draft, or money order payable in Canadian funds only and made out to the Receiver General for Canada.

By Mail or Fax

Step 1

Gather your documents as outlined in Section 1, Step 1.

Step 2

Download and print the Social Insurance number Application (see Resources).

Step 3

Fill the form out completely.

Step 4

Mail the form to:

Service Canada Social Insurance Registration Office P.O. Box 7000 Bathurst, New Brunswick, E2A 4T1 Canada

Include a personal check, bank draft, or money order for $10 payable in Canadian funds only and made out to the Receiver General for Canada. If you are applying from abroad, send an international bank draft or money order.


If your name on your primary document has changed, you must also supply proof of the name change. Acceptable documents include marriage certificate, court order showing the name change, adoption order, or notorial adoption certificate, or a request to amend a record of landing issued by the CIC.


You must supply originals of documents. If you don't, your application will not be processed.

references & resources