How to Change a Name on a Medicaid Card

How to Change a Name on a Medicaid Card

Step 1

Change your name with the Social Security Administration and your local Department of Motor Vehicles. Secure a new Social Security card and driver’s license that reflect your new name. You will need the documentation of your new name on your Social Security card and driver's license in order to provide ample documentation of your new legal name to your state Medicaid agency.

Step 2

Contact your Medicaid caseworker at your local Department of Health and Human Services office. Inform your caseworker of the name change and request a Change of Information form. Fill out the form completely.

Step 3

Make copies of your Social Security card, driver’s license, birth certificate and marriage certificate, if the name change is a result of a recent marriage.

Step 4

Mail the Change of Information form along with the copies of your identifying documents to your state's Medicaid office.

Step 5

Wait for your new Medicaid card to arrive in the mail. This may take up to eight weeks.