How to Replace a BC Care Card

Citizens of British Columbia, Canada, whose CareCard is lost, damaged or stolen can request a replacement in the form of the BC Services Card. The Insurance Company of British Columbia, which is in charge of managing the cards, no longer issues new CareCards, so if you need a new one, you'll get a BC Services Card as a replacement. If you also have a BC driver's license, you can combine your BC Services Card with your license. Adults who don't drive receive a BC Services Card with a photo and anyone under the age of 19 gets a BC Services Card with no photo.

If your card was combined with your driver's license, as soon as you realize your card is missing, call ICBC Licensing Services at 1-800-950-1498 or 250-978-8300 if you're in Victoria. If you lost an old CareCard or a BC Services Card without a driver's license included, call British Columbia Health Insurance at 1-800-663-7100 or 604-683-7151 if you're in Vancouver.

You can find the nearest office using the search feature on the ICBC website. Bring along:

  • One form of primary ID such as a birth certificate, Canadian citizenship certificate or card, or passport
  • One form of secondary ID like a bank card, credit card, employee ID card with photo or student ID card
  • $15 fee. The ICBC accepts cash, personal checks, debit card and Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards