Federal Grants for People Trying to Buy a Mobile Home

Federally funded grants help with the cost of manufactured home purchases.

People who want to purchase a manufactured home but lack the funds for a down payment may benefit from federally funded grant programs designed to make home ownership a reality. These programs issue grants to qualified applicants that help offset the cost of down payments. Unlike federally based housing loans, the programs offer funding based on need and require no repayment.


Federal Housing Finance Agency

The Federal Housing Finance Agency issues grants to qualified applicants that may be used toward the purchase of a conventionally built or manufactured home. The agency, which distributes funds to applicants throughout the nation, offers grants through its Affordable Housing Program. To qualify for funding through the program, applicants must have incomes that do not exceed 80 percent of the average household income in their area. Grants do not exceed $15,000 per household. Applicants must apply to the Federal Housing Finance Agency.


Video of the Day

Federal Housing Finance Agency 1700 G St. NW 4th Floor Washington, DC 20552
202-414-3800 fhfa.gov

HUD Home Grants

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development provides housing grants to qualified low-income, disabled or homeless people. The grants may be used toward the purchase of traditional stick-built or manufactured homes. For a manufactured home to qualify, it must attach to the property through a permanent foundation. If new, it must have manufacturer's warranty for at least one year. Applicants must apply to their local HUD office.


U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th St. SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112 hud.gov


VA Housing Grants

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers grants to qualified former members of the U.S. military through its Specially Adapted Housing Program. Grants may be used toward the purchase of a traditionally built or manufactured homes. To qualify for housing grants through the VA program, applicants must have become disabled or seriously injured in the line of duty. The grants also may pay for structural modifications such as wheelchair lifts and customized ramps. Grant applicants must apply to the VA.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 810 Vermont Ave. NW Washington, DC 20420 800-827-1000 va.gov



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...