How to Change Your Address for SSI

Call the toll-free number for the Social Security Administration (SSA). The number is 1-800-772-1213.

Call between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. or 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. in order to avoid being on hold for long periods of time. The SSA suggests calling during these times, as they are usually less busy.

Visit the local Social Security office to change your address in person. You must change your address within the first 10 days of the month that you make the address change. Making the change online is unavailable because the Social Security office must determine if your living arrangements have changed.

Report any change in living arrangements. Not reporting a change may result in a fine or imprisonment, since the new conditions or accommodations may result in your receiving a different payment amount.

Inform the Social Security office of your new address, in addition to the department that issues your SSI.