How to Change a Name on a Credit Card

Step 1

Make copies of your marriage certificate or the document that shows your name has been changed.

Step 2

Visit your local Social Security Administration office to apply for a new social security card.

Step 3

Send a letter to each of your credit card companies requesting that they change your name in their records. Enclose your marriage certificate or other relevant documentation, account numbers and necessary personal information. For a sample letter, see the Resources section below.

Step 4

Ask the credit card company (in writing) to issue you a new credit card in your new name.

Step 5

Keep records of all of your correspondence.

Step 6

Follow up with your credit card company to make sure the changes took effect, unless you receive a confirmation of the name change.