How to File a Complaint on a Company for Bad Service

Step 01

Organize all of your documentation regarding the bad service such as receipts, contracts or written communications before filing your complaint.

Step 11

Call the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection at 877-382-4357 to file a complaint with a representative. Complaint examples include privacy infringement due to a company data breach, unwanted solicitation, product or service misrepresentation and bad telemarketing, debt collection or other business practices. You can also file a complaint with the Federal trade Commission (FTC) online via its Complaint Assistant webform. Go to the FTC Complaint Assistant website, click the “Complaint Assistant” image and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the form.

Step 21

Go the National Do Not Call (DNC) Registry’s File A Complaint website, click the “Continue” button and then follow the on-screen instructions to file a phone-related bad service complaint. For example, you can file a complaint if you received a call from a telemarketer 31 days after you placed your phone number on the DNC Registry.

Step 31

Contact your local Better Business Bureau (BBB). Go to the main Better Business Bureau Homepage and then enter your city and state or postal code in the field and click “Go” for a redirect to your local BBB’s website. Use the online contact information to call your local BBB or click the “File a Complaint” button and follow the on-screen instructions. If you file online, a BBB representative will contact you by phone or email to acknowledge receipt of the complaint or request additional information. As of October 2011, the BBB will forward your complaint to the company and advise you of the outcome within 30 days.

Step 41

File a complaint with your Attorney General’s office. Go to the National Association of Attorneys General website and click your state’s name on the left sidebar, or scroll down the page to your state and retrieve contact information for your state’s Attorney General (AG). Call or visit your AG’s office or go to the state's AG website and file your complaint via an online form. The office will review your complaint and then contact you to ask for additional information, provide you with an outline of the complaint resolution process or refer you to a different government agency for assistance.