Grants for People on SSI

People who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits may receive grants in addition to the regular benefits that they receive from the Social Security Administration. Those who are qualified to obtain SSI endowments are adults and children with permanent disabilities, those who are blind and those who have reached the age of 65 and have inadequate income and financial resources.


State Services

Individuals with physical or mental disabilities who receive SSI benefits are eligible to receive vocational rehabilitation grants. The Vocational Rehabilitation counselor verifies eligibility by analyzing copies of medical records that show the applicant has a disability. He may also request the candidate to take tests and undergo evaluation procedures. Also, state-managed vocational rehabilitation agencies offer a range of grants that help disabled individuals on SSI to get or keep jobs. These grants include funds for assessment, guidance and counseling, school training, rehabilitation technology, employment-related and other support services. You can locate a state vocational rehabilitation office through state government listings in telephone directories under vocational rehabilitation or by looking at the vocational rehabilitation website.


Video of the Day

Plan for Achieving Self Support (PASS)

The Social Security Administration has a grant for SSI recipients known as the Plan for Achieving Self Support (PASS). This grant allows students who receive SSI benefits to continue receiving benefits while they earn money to pay for college expenses. Eligible SSI recipients receive $100 every month in addition to regular SSI disability checks. Checks may be used to pay for school, start a business or look for employment.


Rental Assistance

People who receive SSI benefits must have low income and scarce resources. Otherwise, they are ineligible to receive these benefits. Due to their low income, some SSI recipients may have difficulty finding an affordable home to rent. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides housing or rental grants to eligible SSI recipients. The HUD assists apartment owners in offering reduced rental rates to low-income tenants. The public housing program provides affordable apartments for people with insufficient income who are older than 65 or who have a disability, meaning SSI recipients. The Housing Choice Voucher Program helps people with low income to find suitable homes and use vouchers to pay for rent.


The FSEOG Program

SSI beneficiaries may also be able to take advantage of the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program without losing their SSI eligibility. The program provides need-based grants to low-income students. This enables deserving low-income youth to finish post-secondary education. Qualified students can receive these grants for any of the 4,000 participating institutions. The U.S. Department of Education determines whether an SSI recipient meets the financial need standards by using a formula established by Congress. This formula helps to evaluate the financial information on the FAFSA and determine the family's expected contribution.