Government Grants for 55 & Older for Apartments

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development provides housing assistance to seniors aged 55 years and older to help pay for rent, moving expenses and lower energy bills. The senior's income cannot exceed the low-income limit level to qualify for a grant. The housing authority provides applications for housing assistance and determines the applicant's eligibility.


Section 8 Voucher

HUD's Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program allows very-low-income households to pay 30 percent of their income toward rent. Seniors aged 55 and older are eligible to apply for a voucher. To qualify for help, the senior's income cannot exceed 50 percent of the area's median income. Seniors are able to choose any rental housing unit that will accept a Section 8 voucher for rent payment. The goal of this program is to integrate low-income households into mixed-income housing.


Video of the Day

Public Housing Program

HUD also has a rental assistance program that provides a subsidy to all the tenants living in a Public Housing building. Applicants that apply for a Public Housing rental must have income that does not exceed 80 percent of the area's median income. Seniors aged 55 or older are eligible for Public Housing and may also qualify for senior-only Public Housing. Most senior Public Housing restricts admission to applicants aged 62 or older and those with a disability of any age.


Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program

The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program provides temporary rental assistance to very-low-income households. Seniors who have lost their home or at-risk of losing their home can apply for temporary rental assistance. The program provides rental and utility payments for up to 18 months. Seniors that have already lost a home to foreclosure or eviction can apply for help to pay a security deposit, rent, utility fees and moving expenses. The renter's income cannot exceed 50 percent of the area's median income to qualify for housing assistance.


Weatherization Assistance Program

HUD and the Department of Energy have formed a partnership to provide weatherization services to low-income households. This program is available to seniors that rent single-family homes and to those in apartment rentals. Up to $6,500 per household is provided to help reduce utility bills in low-income rentals. Typical measures include installing insulation, repairing heating and cooling systems, or upgrades to energy-efficient appliances and lighting. The total household income must be at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level to qualify for weatherization assistance. The annual savings per household is $350.



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...