How to Change the Name On a Stock Certificate

Obtain a stock power form and a W-9 document from from the company you purchased the stock through. Depending on the company, you may be able to download and print these forms from the company's website.

Complete the stock power form by entering the name that appears on the original stock account, the account number and the name of the company the stock is through. Enter the new name you want to appear on the stock account, as well as the individual's Social Security number and address.

Complete the W-9 form by entering the new owner's name, Social Security number and address.

Take the completed stock power form to a bank or credit union. Ask the bank or credit union representative to provide a "Medallion Signature Guarantee" on the form. Your stockbroker can also provide a guarantee. Sign the back of your stock ownership certificate in the presence of the guarantor.

Submit the signed stock ownership certificate, the stock power form and W-9 form to your brokerage firm or the company you have stock through. If you are changing your own name, due to marriage, divorce or court order, include a certified court document that verifies and authenticates your name change.