How to Get Welfare Assistance in Kansas

Many families struggle to make ends meet, and sometimes government assistance is necessary to survive. In the state of Kansas, you can apply for medical, cash and food assistance if you are unemployed, have children, are disabled or are an elderly citizen in need. As with all state welfare programs, you must meet certain household income requirements to be eligible for the Kansas Temporary Assistance for Families (TAF) program.


Step 1

Visit the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) online assessment page (see Resources). Enter details about your household to determine your eligibility. Questions include details on the number of children in your household, persons with disabilities, family members over age 65, pregnant household members, total adult household income, supplemental payment received through unemployment and child support and the amount of money the household has in checking and savings.


Video of the Day

Step 2

Apply via the online application (see Resources) for programs you are eligible for based on your household income. If you do not have regular access to a computer, call the Kansas SRS at 1-888-369-4777 to locate a nearby office where you can obtain a paper application.

Step 3

Provide Social Security numbers for each household member, including children, to prove U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.


Step 4

Enter accurate details on the application about total household income, supplemental income, debilitating medical circumstances and whether or not anyone within the household is currently living in a facility such as a correctional institute, nursing home, state hospital or juvenile detention center.



Step 5

Submit your completed application via the online application center, or return your application to your local Kansas welfare office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. A caseworker will be assigned to your case and determine your eligibility. You may be required to appear to provide proof of income, like pay stubs, bank statements and proof of pregnancy, such as a note from your doctor.


Step 6

Apply for medical assistance benefits through the Kansas Health Policy Authority (KHPA). Request an application from KHPA at 1-800-792-4884, or obtain one at your local SRS office. To find a nearby office, use the online Kansas SRS online office locator (see Resources).


Only families with a child under 18 who lives in the house or families expecting a child qualify for cash assistance, according to the Kansas SRS.

In Kansas, adults who qualify for cash and food assistance are not disabled or impaired. Also, they do not take care of a child under the age of six months, and must be willing to enter into a work rehabilitation program designed to provide educational and training skills, job assistance and job placement.

Things You'll Need

  • Proof of income

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status

  • Checking and savings account information


Entering false information on your welfare application is considered fraud. You will face not only denial of your assistance request, but possible legal action that could result in fines and imprisonment.

Video of the Day



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...