Documents Needed to Replace a Social Security Card

If your Social Security card or your child's is lost or stolen, you can get a replacement card relatively quickly with the correct supporting documentation. Just remember, you can replace a card only three times a year or 10 times over your lifetime. So, once you receive your new card, be sure to keep it in a safe place where it is not likely to be lost or stolen again.

Application for a Social Security Card

The first document you need for requesting a Social Security card is the same whether you are applying for the first time or seeking a replacement. This is an Application for a Social Security Card, or Form SS-5, which you can download and print for free. You can also stop by your local Social Security office and pick up an application.

Proof of Identity

In addition to a completed application for a Social Security card, you must supply appropriate documents to prove your identity and age. Two documents are required for an original card and one for a replacement. These documents include an original birth certificate, U.S. hospital record of birth created at the time of birth, passport, final adoption decree or religious record showing your age and birth date. You must also provide an unexpired proof of legal name, such as a U.S. driver's license or state-issued non-driver identity card. The government prefers to see documents that can prove a variety of aspects of your identity including last name, biographical information and physical information.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

You can prove your citizenship status using several of the same documents used to prove your identity, including a birth certificate or U.S. passport. A Consular Report of Birth, Certificate of Citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization are also valid forms of identification. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must provide evidence of your current lawful non-citizen status. This could include any of a variety of forms provided to you by the Department of Homeland Security, including Forms I-551, I-94, I-688B or I-766.

references & resources