North Carolina Buyer's Remorse Law

North Carolina Buyer's Remorse Law
Image Credit: zimmytws/iStock/GettyImages

North Carolina General Statutes 25A, 47C and 66 all provide information on North Carolina consumers' right to cancel specific purchases and contracts within a reasonable time. These cancellations do not apply to all situations, and usually the company will tell you of your right to cancel. The process of canceling is straightforward, but sometimes you need to reach out to third parties to make sure your rights are secured.

Applicable Situations

You have the right to cancel purchases that occur in irregular places of business such as your home or a street fair. Prepaid memberships for entertainment purposes -- including gym memberships, discount buying clubs, home food service plans and credit repair services -- are other types of contracts that can be canceled within a specific number of days after you sign the contract. Dealer sales of mobile homes, campground memberships greater than 12 months and timeshares can be canceled as well.

Nonapplicable Situations

Purchases that are not applicable to this policy include off-premises purchases of less than $25, purchases made via phone or mail and real estate sales or rentals. If you take a mortgage loan out for the purchase or construction of a home, you do not have a right to cancel the contract. You cannot cancel the purchase of cars outside of North Carolina's "lemon law," which applies to new cars only.

Typical Process For Cancellation

Your notice of cancellation must be in writing. This is acceptable in any form of writing, whether electronic or physical. Notice must be given within three business days -- no later than midnight of the third business day. Business days do not include weekends and holidays, even if a business is open those days. You should expect a full refund of any deposits or fees provided.


If you follow the rules for your right to cancel and the seller has not provided remedy, contact the attorney general's office at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM to file a complaint. You will need to provide copies of your contract or receipt, your given notice and any responses from the seller so the office can help you resolve this issue. If the attorney general's office is unsuccessful in helping you, contact an attorney or file a small claim with your county's courthouse.