How to Find Out if There Is a Debt Judgment Against You

How to Find Out if There Is a Debt Judgment Against You
Conduct a judgment search at a local courthouse.

Checking For a Judgment Against You

Go to the website to get your three credit reports -- Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. You can get each credit report for free once a year. If you already ordered your free credit reports for the year, contact the credit bureaus to determine the cost of a credit report in your state. Call Experian at 888-397-3742, Equifax at 800-685-1111 and TransUnion at 800-888-4213.

Review each credit report to determine if a debt judgment has been reported. The beginning of the credit report lists public record information.

Go to your local courthouse and request a judgment search under your name. The court clerk must provide public records on anybody you inquire about. The court normally charges a nominal fee for a copy of the records.

Check the National Center for State Courts website that provides public access to court records. Go to your state's link to determine if you can get access to judgment filings.