How to Obtain a Tax ID Number for a Foreign Entity

Apply for an EIN online or with Form SS-4.
Image Credit: Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues Tax Identification Numbers (TINs) to businesses that are required to file tax forms and other statements with the United States government. The IRS requires a federal TIN for foreign entities that do business with companies inside the United States or operate subsidiaries within its borders. If you're a foreign entity attempting to obtain a TIN, the IRS has a few options available to assist you.

Step 1

Fill out Form SS-4 to obtain a TIN for a foreign business entity. A TIN is also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Form SS-4 is available for download from the IRS website (see the link in the Resource section).

Step 2

Call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line if you wish to apply for an EIN over the phone. You may call (800) 829-4933 within the United States or (267) 941-1099 if you're making an international call. Note that the IRS operator may have you fax or mail Form SS-4 to verify your identity. In this case, the IRS instantly issues you a tax ID number over the phone and requires you to fax or mail Form SS-4 within 24 hours for it to remain valid.

Step 3

Fax or mail the completed Form SS-4 to the IRS. The fax number for foreign entities is (267) 941-1040. If you send a return fax number to the IRS, you receive a new EIN within four business days. If you choose to mail Form SS-4, it takes up to four weeks for processing. Use the following mailing address:

Internal Revenue Service Attn: EIN International Operation Philadelphia, PA 19255


Questions 6 and 11 through 17 on Form SS-4 won't apply to your business if the IRS doesn't require you to file a tax return. This occurs in cases where a foreign entity is seeking a tax treaty exemption and needs a tax ID to apply. In this case, write "N/A" in each of these boxes.

references & resources