How to Update My Section 8 Application

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) uses the Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers program to subsidize the private market rents of low-income families. The program uses several criteria, primarily income and household size, to restrict program access and determine the amount of the subsidy. If you are in the Section 8 program, it is imperative that you report any changes that impact your standing.


Step 1

Contact the public housing agency (PHA) that administers the Section 8 program in your area. This is most often the same entity that issued you your Section 8 voucher in the first place. If you cannot locate your agency's contact information, you can search for it at HUD's website.


Video of the Day

Step 2

Notify your PHA of any key changes to your household or financial situation that may impact your program status. If you are unsure about a change, call your PHA and ask whether they need to know about it. For instance, as the Code of Federal Regulations indicates, you must let your PHA know if a family member moves out of your unit. As your household size changes, so does your income eligibility for Section 8 assistance.



Step 3

Bring requested documents to your PHA office. For example, if your income increases or decreases, your PHA will likely want to see proof in the form of a letter from your employer, a paycheck stub or another financial document. Follow your PHA's instructions in this regard.


If you don't report changes in your status, such as income increases, to your PHA, you might be committing Section 8 fraud. Your PHA has the right to revoke your assistance for an infraction. The federal government can prosecute you for Section 8 fraud. Potential penalties include fines of up to $10,000 and a maximum of five years in prison.



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...