How to Amend a State Tax Return

If you file IRS 1040X, you may also need to amend your state tax return.
Image Credit: Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images

Situations occur when you need to amend your state tax return. Failure to report income, unclaimed deductions and incorrect filing status are common reasons why tax returns are amended. You can not just amend your state tax return, you must also amend your federal tax return. Amending a state return may alter your tax liability, causing you to owe additional taxes to the government. If you have a tax preparer, this person can assist you in amending your state and federal tax returns. Otherwise, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can help you begin the process.


Amending Your State Tax Return

Step 1

Complete and submit a Form 1040X to the Internal Revenue Service. If you filed your taxes yourself or used an online service, you can obtain a 1040X from the IRS website. Mail the completed form to the IRS with payment of any taxes that are due.


Video of the Day

Step 2

Contact your state's Department of Revenue to obtain the correct form to amend your state tax return. The federal IRS website provides a link to each state's Department of Revenue. This link allows you to obtain the form you need. The amendment forms vary for each state, but many states use the letter "X" in their amendment forms, according to TurboTax.


Step 3

Complete the state amendment form and submit it to your state's Department of Revenue. The form should have the correct income, deductions and filing status that should have gone on the original tax return. If the amendment results in additional taxes due, mail the tax payment with the amendment to the Department of Revenue. Provide a copy of the 1040X, federal amendment of your tax return, with the state amendment.

Things You'll Need

  • Original tax returns

  • W-2 or 1099s

  • Receipts for deductions

  • Form 1040X

  • State amendment form