How to Amend a Missouri State Tax Return

If you made an error on your original Missouri tax return, file an amended return.

If you file an incorrect state income tax return in Missouri, even if done inadvertently, you will be assessed interest charges and late fees by the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) if the error results in you underpaying your taxes. The late fee is 5 percent of the unpaid balance and interest charges accumulate monthly at a varying rate. If you discover the error before the DOR, you can mitigate the interest charges of by filing an amended tax return.


Step 1

Download the Form MO-1040 for the year of the tax return you are amending from the DOR website or obtain one from your local public library. Obtain a copy of Form MO-A if you itemized your deductions.

Video of the Day

Step 2

Make a copy of the Form MO-1040 you originally filed, your federal tax return and all other supporting documentation such as your W-2 or 1099.


Step 3

Complete Form MO-1040 and Form MO-A, if applicable, using the correct figures. Complete the "Amended Return" section on page two of Form MO-1040 and add the interest and penalties to the amount you owe.

Step 4

Mail your amended tax return, copies of your original tax return, copies of your federal amended tax return (Form 1040X), and all supporting documentation and a check or money order for any additional amounts owed to:



Missouri Department of Revenue PO Box 329 Jefferson City, MO 65105-0329

If you are due a refund, mail to:

Missouri Department of Revenue P.O. Box 500 Jefferson City, MO 65106-0500


You can obtain free assistance in filing your tax return from one of seven Tax Assistance Centers operated by the Missouri Department of Revenue.

Things You'll Need

  • Form MO-1040

  • Form MO-A

Video of the Day