How to Pay a Past Due Speeding Ticket

Step 1

Locate your speeding ticket and contact the city or county court listed on the ticket. Provide a clerk at the courthouse with your name, speeding ticket number, vehicle registration number and any other relevant information that the clerk requests. Ask the clerk whether your ticket has been sent to a collection firm or remains with the record keeping division at the courthouse.

Step 2

Go to the courthouse in person to make your payment if the record keeping department still holds the debt. In cases of late payments, many courthouses only accept payment in the form of credit cards, debit cards, official checks, money orders or cash. Personal checks are not typically accepted for late payments.

Step 3

Ask the clerk how much you owe including any late fees and fees necessary to reinstate your license if the state suspended it on account of your failure to settle the debt. Pay the ticket and ask for a receipt. If the court turned the debt over to a collection firm, then you must obtain payment information from the courthouse but make the payment to the collection firm directly. Remember to ask for a receipt from the collection firm and take your receipt to the courthouse to have your license reinstated.