How to Be Removed From Section 8 Housing

Section 8 lets people find affordable housing in both cities and rural communities.

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, better known simply as Section 8, is a federal program designed to help low-income individuals and families to afford safe and quality housing. This assistance, offered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is not intended to be permanent rental assistance. Rather, it is supposed to be a temporary aid to people as they take steps to get on their feet. Once you no longer need Section 8 help, you should get yourself removed from the HUD Section 8 assistance program.


Step 1

Gather documentation that verifies you are receiving Section 8 funds. This can include copies of your vouchers or letters from your public housing agency indicating you were accepted into the program. Put together other documentation such as your driver's license that verifies your identity, as well.


Video of the Day

Step 2

Compile documents that demonstrate why you want to be removed from Section 8. An example is pay stubs showing you don't meet the eligibility requirements anymore. Summarize these documents in a signed and dated cover letter requesting your removal from the program.

Step 3

Bring all of your documentation, along with your cover letter, to your local public housing assistance office. In most cases, this will be your local HUD or Community Development Agency office where you first applied for Section 8. A PHA search tool is available from the Affordable Housing Online website (see Resources).



Step 4

Tell the representative at the PHA office you need to get off Section 8 assistance. She will make copies of your documentation and cover letter and may give you a termination form to fill out.



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...