Asylee Scholarships & Grants

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services grant the status of "asylee" to persons seeking political asylum and living in the U.S. because of fear of persecution in their home country due to race, religion, ethnic or social groupings. Asylees are eligible for education awards that enable them to pursue degrees and careers. Such opportunities are available from humanitarian organizations, corporations and colleges that uphold the American legacy of freedom and justice for all.


Champlain College New American Student Scholarship

Vermont's Champlain College offers a New American Student Scholarship for asylee and refugee students. This scholarship is need-based. Recipients are full-time college students who are eligible to receive a federal Pell grant. Renewable for four years, the scholarship covers tuition only. Scholarship value is subject to the family's financial situation and contribution, and other awards for which the applicant is eligible.

Video of the Day

Sarlo Academic Scholarship

The Sarlo Foundation of the Jewish Community Endowment Fund sponsors college scholarships offered by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in San Francisco, California. The IRC responds to humanitarian crises worldwide, assisting victims to rebuild their lives. Academic achievement and financial need are the basic criteria for these awards, which enable asylees and other recipients to complete their studies and thereby contribute to their communities. Eligibility requirements include a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA and residency in the California counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Mateo, San Francisco, San Joaquin, Solano, Sonoma and Stanislaus. During the 2010 to 2011 academic year, scholarship awards ranged between $1,000 and $5,000.


Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society Scholars Program

The Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) is the international migratory arm of the Jewish community in the U.S. HIAS provides a wide range of humanitarian services to immigrants of all backgrounds, including U.S. resettlement. HIAS-assisted asylee immigrants to the U.S. pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees are eligible to apply for the HIAS Scholars Program scholarship. The scholarship includes leadership skills training and participation in HIAS Young Leaders to further the HIAS mission. Applications require essays, official transcripts, Federal Income Tax Form 1040, and letters of acceptance from higher learning institutions. The scholarship value was $4,000 in 2011.


Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans

Asylees and refugees are "New Americans" for whom financial assistance is available for graduate school as well as for undergraduate studies. For example, the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans provide two-year graduate fellowships for naturalized citizens and resident aliens (green card holders) born on or after November 2, 1979. Fellowship recipients include college seniors, bachelor's degree holders, or first- or second-year graduate school students. Creativity, originality, initiative, persistence and commitment to the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights are among the selection criteria. As at 2011, the fellowship value was up to $25,000 in maintenance grants and up to $20,000 in tuition support annually.