How to File Taxes For Mary Kay

Hobby Versus Business

Determine whether your Mary Kay activities constitute self-employment income or hobby income. If you sell Mary Kay with an intent to make a profit and have made a profit in at least three of the past five years, it's self-employment income and you must complete Schedule C. If you're not profitable and aren't putting in the time and effort to become profitable, the IRS considers any sales to be hobby income. If it's a hobby, report income on line 21 of Form 1040 and list any related expenses as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.

Revenues and Returns

Mary Kay consultants with self-employment income are actually business owners. Sole proprietors should report all business income and losses on Schedule C. Start by calculating your total Mary Kay revenues from the year. This is the total amount of cash you've received from customers who purchased Mary Kay products from you. List total revenues on line 1. If you issued returns to any customers, list that amount on line 2.

Cost of Goods Sold

Since you're reselling physical products for your business, you must complete the Cost of Goods Sold schedule in Part 3 of Schedule C. To calculate your cost of goods sold, start with the value of beginning product inventory, add any purchases and subtract the value of your remaining inventory at the end of the year. The difference is your cost of goods sold. List the cost of goods sold calculated on line 42 of Part 3 and on line 4 of Part 1.

Other Expenses and Net Income

As an independent contractor, you can deduct other expenses associated with selling Mary Kay products. The cost of any advertising and office supplies are deductible. If you traveled to show Mary Kay at parties, trade shows or homes, you can deduct the cost of travel to your destination. The IRS allows taxpayers to deduct 57.5 cents per mile driven as of the 2015 tax year. List these expenses in Part 2 of Schedule C. After completing the form, record the net profit or loss from line 31 onto line 12 of Form 1040. Include the Schedule C when you file your tax return.