Can I Use My Last Pay Stub to File My Taxes?

Save your final pay stub in the event you do not receive a Form W-2 from your employer.
Image Credit: Lane Erickson/iStock/Getty Images

Employers are required by law to provide a Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) to each employee who received $600 or more in compensation during the year. The form is required to be postmarked no later than January 31st each year. If you do not receive Form W-2 by February 14th, you should contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. The IRS will contact your employer regarding your missing Form W-2 and mail you a copy of Form 4852 (Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement) with instructions so you can complete your taxes in a timely manner. You can complete Form 4852 using the figures stated on your final pay stub for the year in lieu of a Form W-2.

Filing a Tax Return Without a Form W-2

Complete a Form 4852 (Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement) and include your full name, SSN, address, tax year as well as employer name, address and EIN. Use the figures on your final pay stub to list all wages, tips, other compensation and taxes withheld on the form. Two fill-in questions require you to state where you got your figures and what attempts you made to obtain an actual Form W-2 from your employer. In the event you do receive the missing Form W-2 and the figures differ, you can amend your tax return by filing a Form 1040X (Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return).

references & resources