How to Gift a Certificate of Deposit

Contact several local banks and any credit unions that you are eligible to join and find out which financial institution has the best CD rates. Since you are opening the account for a child, ask about long-term rates as well as the more commonly advertised short-term rates. Make sure you have sufficient funds to meet the minimum deposit requirement and then call the bank that has the highest rate and set a new account appointment.

Go to the financial institution for your new account appointment. Give the banker your drivers license or passport as well as your Social Security number and a check containing the initial deposit made payable to the child you are giving the money to. Provide the banker with the name of the child, as well as the child's Social Security number, date of birth and physical address.

Instruct the banker to open the account as a minor account under the UGMA and to list you as the account custodian. Review the time deposit agreement to ensure the interest rate and deposit amount are correct. Sign the deposit agreement as the authorized signer and ask for a copy of the agreement so you can keep it for your personal records.