What Are the IRS Taxes on a Cashed-in CD?

Normally, the Internal Revenue Service levies income tax on certificates of deposits as interest is earned. This means you pay taxes every year on the interest you receive from the account. You pay no additional tax when you cash out the CD, except for the tax on interest you have already received so far that year. There are exceptions, however, depending on what kind of account you held the CD in.


Is CD Interest Taxable?

When the certificate of deposit is held in a taxable account – i.e., not a retirement account, education account or health savings account that receives tax deferral – the interest is taxable as ordinary income in the year in which it becomes available to you. This rule applies regardless of whether you receive the money in cash or reinvest it in another CD. If you are entitled to receive the interest, the interest is due.


Video of the Day

The bank will issue you a 1099-INT, detailing the amount of interest you received. It forwards this information to the IRS, as well. You must claim this interest on your individual income tax return.

Consider also:About the Different Types of 1099 Tax Forms: What You Should Know


CD Tax and Retirement Accounts

If the CD is held in a tax-deferred account such as an individual retirement arrangement, different rules apply. In this case, you do not need to pay income tax on interest the CD earns. The interest compounds within the IRA until you withdraw it.


When you take a withdrawal or distribution, the IRS charges income tax on the entire withdrawal amount. However, if you bought the CD with nondeductible IRA contributions, the IRS allows you to recover your own contributions you made with after-tax dollars.

IRAs and Early Withdrawals

The IRS charges a ​10 percent​ penalty on IRA withdrawals prior to the age of ​59 1/2​. This is also true for CDs held in IRA accounts. To avoid this penalty, either wait until you are 59 1/2 or make the withdrawal for a permissible reason: because of a disability, to pay medical bills, to make a down payment of up to ​$10,000​ on a home for yourself or your family, to fund educational expenses, or as a series of equal periodic payments made over your life expectancy or the joint life expectancy of you and your spouse or other loved one.


Consider also​: COVID-19 & Early Retirement Plan Withdrawal Taxes

Alternatives to CDs

If you are looking for a safe place to put money, you may also consider money market accounts. These perhaps provide a slightly higher interest rate, but do not have FDIC protection. For longer-term savings, you may consider a fixed annuity – especially for retirement planning.


Other alternatives include equity indexed annuities and dividend-paying whole life insurance. Annuities provide tax deferral on growth, while cash value growth in life insurance policies is tax free. Further, municipal bonds can provide tax-free income, though there is no FDIC insurance on these bonds. They are subject to default risk.