Grants for Home Modifications for the Handicapped

Home modification grants support independant living.

Persons with disabilities often have difficulties in living in their homes. Home modifications, such as widened doorways, wheel chair ramps, handicapped bath fixtures and vertical lifts, can improve their mobility and quality of life. Grants for persons with disabilities can ease the financial burden of installing these helpful home modifications.

United Cerebral Palsy Association

The United Cerebral Palsy Association (UCPA) Assistive Technology Funding and Systems Change Project provides funding information on home modifications and equipping homes with technical support that promotes independent living. For more information and eligibility requirements, contact the UCPA at 800-872-5827.

Centers for Independent Living

Offering funds to provide financial assistance for disabled persons who require home modifications to cope with their disability is the Centers for Independent Living. Call the Center at 703-525-3406 to obtain complete information on eligibility and to submit a grant application.

Home Improvement Structural Alterations

Home Improvement Structural Alternations (HISA) is a program administered by the HISA Department of of the U.S. Veteran's Hospitals. A veteran who has been hospitalized at a Veteran's Hospital within one year of the application and who has needs that are medically deemed to require accessibility modifications or equipment is eligible for the program. If a recipient's disability is service related, grants up to $4,100 for the installation and construction costs of ramps or home modifications are available as of January 2011. Non-service related disabilities may qualify for a Veterans Administration (VA) grant up to $1.200. The VA may also donate vertical lifts or chair lifts for qualifying veterans. Call 1-800-827-1000 to discuss your situation with a benefits counselor.

Specially Adapted Housing Grants

A Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant is intended to help modify a home to make it wheelchair accessible or otherwise "barrier free" for certain veterans whose service-connected disabilities make living independently impossible without such modifications. An SAH grant can be as much as $63,780. Contact your local office of the VA to obtain eligibility information.

Special Home Adaption Grants

Available to veterans with total service related disabilities, including blindness, are Special Home Adaption (SHA) grants. The grant provides financial assistance up to $12,756 to construct and install modifications that enable safe mobility around the home.

references & resources