Septic System Grants

Community Development Block Grants

Community Development Block Grants are available through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. These funds are made available to states, which then allocate money to communities. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, these funds may be used for the improvement of water and sewer facilities, which may include the construction or repair of residential septic systems. These grants are usually applied for by groups of citizens rather than a single individual.

Rural Development Funding

The U. S. Department of Agriculture makes funds available to cover the repair and maintenance of private septic systems. The amount of funds available, as well as the specific purposes for which grants are intended, changes from year to year. Interested rural residents should visit the Department of Agriculture's rural development website for information on available funds and application deadlines.

Section 319 Grants

The Environmental Protection Agency provides grants to states so that they can control non-point sources of water pollution, including malfunctioning septic systems. According to the EPA, Section 319 funds may be used to construct, repair, or improve private septic systems in states "where onsite systems have been identified as a significant source of pollution." Interested homeowners should visit the EPA Section 319 website for more information about the application process.