How to Apply for Disabled or Retired Veteran Grants

Numerous grants are available for retired veterans and disabled veterans. Some are available through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, while others are awarded through non-profit organizations dedicated to honoring veterans and their families. The administering agency specifies the eligibility guidelines and application process. Generally, you'll need to make sure you have your discharge documents, medical records or disability award letter, as well as information about your finances.

VA Housing Grants

Disabled veterans can apply for special housing grants from the VA. The grants are designed to help veterans with permanent service-connected disabilities purchase or modify a home to accommodate their needs. You can use the Specially Adapted Housing Grant to construct, rebuild or remodel a home. If you acquired a home already modified to fit your accessibility needs, you can apply the grant towards the mortgage balance.

The Special Housing Adaptation Grant is used to adapt a home you live in or plan to purchase. You also may use the grant to purchase a home that has already been adapted. The eligibility requirements vary based on the grant. You may apply online through the ebenefits website or by downloading and completing Form 26-4555 Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaption Grant. The application must be returned to your regional VA office.

Operation Homefront

Operation Homefront provides emergency financial assistance grants for past-due or delinquent expenses, such a late utility bill. Grants also are available for car repairs, child care expenses, dental needs, essential baby items and transportation, as well as certain other expenses. All veterans and active duty service members are eligible. Applicants must provide proof of household income, including civilian pay or disability benefits. Additional documentation requirements vary based on your eligibility group. For example, if you were injured in the line of duty, you'll need to submit an official record of a wound, illness or injury. You can determine your eligibility and apply for assistance at

Rebuild Hope

Rebuild Hope is a non-profit organization that helps severely disabled veterans who separated from the service within the past three years or currently are awaiting a medical discharge. You must have -- or must be awaiting -- a service-connected disability rating of at least 50 percent. If you're waiting on the rating, you'll need to provide an estimated combined disability rating based on your illness or condition. The program provides financial assistance for short-term essential needs only. Required documents you must submit to apply are:

  • completed Rebuild Hope Application
  • copy of your driver's license or state-issued identification card
  • financial needs analysis that details your project cash flow and budget for the year
  • copy of DD-214 discharge paperwork or confirmation of a medical hold
  • service-connected disability award letter or a VA claim along with medical evaluations if you're awaiting approval
  • contact information for your VA case manager
  • your service officer's name and contact information if there's a VA claim or appeal
  • two character references, neither of which can be a family member or friend
  • information about your household
  • photos of your family members for an online profile

After completing the application, scan and send to the email address indicated. Your documents may be faxed or scanned and emailed.