How to Freeze a Social Security Number

How to Freeze a Social Security Number

Step 1

File a police report. If you are a victim of identity theft, you must have a copy of the police report in order to qualify for a security freeze free of charge.

Step 2

Go online. The fastest way to freeze a Social Security number is to do so at the websites of the three major credit bureaus: Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. See Resources below for website addresses.

Step 3

Write a letter. Send a written request for a security freeze to all three credit bureaus. You must include your full legal name, date of birth, Social Security number, current address, your address from the past two years and the reason you are requesting a freeze.

Step 4

Call the credit bureaus. You may also call the three credit bureaus to request a freeze. They will ask you to provide the same information as described in Step 2.