As the class of 2017 prepares to step forth into the "real world," nearly all of them will be ushered out of their soon-to-be alma maters with the wise words of a graduation speaker. From actors to politicians to authors and artists, commencement day wisdom comes from all kinds of minds, and has the power to impact us no matter what stage we are at in our lives and careers. With that in mind, here are a few words from our very favorite graduation speakers.
1. "Do all the other things, the ambitious things—travel, get rich, get famous, innovate, lead, fall in love, make and lose fortunes...but as you do, to the extent that you can, err in the direction of kindness." — George Saunders, Syracuse University, 2013
2. "So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as practicality…You can fail at what you don't want. So you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." — Jim Carrey, Maharishi University of Management, 2014
3. "Sometimes you find out what you are supposed to be doing by doing the things you are not supposed to do." — Oprah Winfrey, Howard University, 2007
Video of the Day
4. "Don't ever confuse the two, your life and your work. The second is only part of the first." — Anna Quindlen, Villanova University, 2004
5. "I encourage you to live with life. Be courageous, adventurous. Give us a tomorrow, more than we deserve." — Maya Angelou, UC Riverside, 1977